Teacher Spotlight: Sandra Storwick
2,000 hour Purna Yoga Professional
Practicing Yoga since: 1983
Teaching at ASC since: 1994
Why do you love teaching yoga?
The practice of Purna Yoga and Heartfull Mediation has had a profound effect on my life and the lives of my children. It has given me the ability create a relationship between my mind, body and soul. Teaching Yoga has become an expression of that sacred relationship. Teaching yoga gives me the opportunity to give back.
What is your favorite quote?
“If mankind could but see though in a glimpse of fleeting experience what infinite enjoyments, what perfect forces, what luminous reaches of spontaneous knowledge, what wide calms of our being lie waiting for us in the tracts which our animal evolution has not yet conquered, they would leave all & never rest till they had gained these treasures. But the way is narrow, the doors are hard to force, and fear, distrust & scepticism are there, sentinels of Nature, to forbid the turning away of our feet from her ordinary pastures.”
– Sri Aurobindo
If you could give one piece of advice to yourself as a new yoga student, what would it be?
- Don’t give up
- Be patient with yourself
- Try not to compare yourself with others
- Try not to be afraid when you begin to feel your body, or feel your body changing as a result of the work you are doing. You may feel feelings that you have never felt before.
- As you become aware of your body through the lens of the yoga poses, try not to judge but see it as a starting place.
- 10 years of aging will go by anyway
- Read the above quote. There is a gem inside of you waiting to be discovered.
What benefits have you received from Purna Yoga?
Countless benefits. To know myself as an eternal being with a purpose – to be the Light in this physical form.